Personal Immigration

  • Home
  • Personal Immigration

Who is eligible for a Family Visa?

If you’re a non-EEA national and want to live and work in the UK for an extended period of time, you will need to make a UK Visa application. There are different types of visas available depending on your circumstance. A Family Visa is needed to join family members in the UK for a period longer than 6 months. If you’re living outside of the UK, you can apply to a Family Visa to join your spouse, fiancee, partner, child, parent or relative who will provide long-term care for you.  

What are the UK Family Visa types?

If you are a non-EEA national and intend to stay in the UK for a period that exceeds 6 months, you will need to make a Family Visa application if you meeting one of the following requirements:

  • Your family member/ spouse is a British citizen
  • Your family member/ spouse has ILR or settled status
  • You have an eligible relationship with an individual in the UK with refugee status or humanitarian protection 

If you are currently living in the UK on a different visa, you may be able to switch to a family visa in order to stay with your child, fiancee or partner. There are many variations of a UK Family Visa, all of which depend on the relationship that you have with the UK settled person. 

Below, you’ll find information on the different types of UK Family Visas that are available for no-EEA nationals.

Adult Dependent Visa 

If you’re over the age of 18 and would like to live and work in the UK on a Family Visa, you may be eligible for an Adult Dependent Visa. This is reserved for individuals who want to enter the UK as a parent, grandparent or adult child of a British Citizen. 

You can apply to live in the UK under an Adult Dependent Visa under exceptional circumstances. This Family Visa is reserved for those who are in need of long-term care, which can be provided by your relative in the UK. 

Unlike the majority of Family Visa types, the Adult Dependent Visa allows you to remain in the UK indefinitely, as long as the UK relative is a British Citizen or has settled status in the UK. In addition to this, you are enabled to remain in the UK on this visa if your relative has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK. 

This visa is reserved for special circumstances and is quite difficult to obtain. In order to be accepted, you must satisfy the following:

  • You must provide a large amount of evidence that you don’t have adequate care in your country of origin for an Adult Dependent Family Visa
  • You must be over the age of 18
  • You must be related to the individual who has British Citizenship or settled status in the UK

How Can We Help you

Personal Immigration


Visitor Visa

We are here to help every step of the way, if you need help getting a visit visa to meet your family or friends or to tour our country. We can guide you through especially if you have been faced with refusal. Read More

Spouse visa 

If you are married to or in a civil partnership with someone who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, you might be eligible to apply to join them in the UK on the basis of your relationship by applying for a UK spouse visa. Read More

UK work visas

Following are the various Tier 1 visa categories under the UK Immigration Rules for which we can provide our expert legal help and assistance: Read More

Start up visa UK 

The start up visa category is for people seeking to establish a business in the UK for the first time. Read More

Family Visa

Who is eligible for a Family Visa? Read More

Adult Dependent Visa 

If you’re over the age of 18 and would like to live and work in the UK on a Family Visa, Read More
Right Shape